No expertise is required to use GBS. For Autodesk FormIt 360 model geometry creation no expertise is required. Minimal 3D-CAD/BIM experience is required for model geometry creation with Autodesk Revit (though you need no special training in energy analysis). Energy Modelers can do more in-depth analysis.
GBS can be used by architects, engineers, or construction managers. Power-users and energy simulation consultants and researchers can also use the web service to eliminate manual plan "take-offs" and to build geometrically accurate models.
GBS automatically reads all building geometry data produced by a gbXML-enabled BIM or 3D-CAD program required to perform a thermal simulation analysis. (All other proprietary design data remains secure within the authoring application.) Users may specify additional input parameters to the extent they have been enabled in the BIM/CAD program's GUI. All other simulation variables supplied by the Autodesk Green Building Studio web service may be viewed and edited in other DOE-2.2 or gbXML compatible applications.
Be sure to see the Insight 360 entry for more information: http://www.buildingenergysoftwaretools.com/software/autodesk-insight-360
• Customizable charts for
- Heating Loads
- Cooling Loads
- Estimated Energy End Use
- Energy Cost
- Dry Bulb Temperature
- Wind Data
• Customizable Parametric Studies
• Annual carbon footprint specific to region and utility mix
• Renewable energy potential (photovoltaic and wind)
• Weather data summary and user defined graphics
• Building and site specific natural ventilation potential
• US EPA ENERGY STAR
• Water preliminary analysis for LEED
• Building summary of construction areas, equipment capacities, etc.
• gbXML file for import to Trane TRACE 700 or other gbXML-compliant tools
• DOE-2.2 file for import to eQUEST
• EnergyPlus IDF file for editing and running in EnergyPlus
• VRML file
• Design Review file
Autodesk Green Building Studio reduces time and cost of building design and lifecycle management processes. Major benefits include:
• Enables hourly whole building energy, carbon and water analyses much earlier in the design process
• Reduces design and analysis costs, allowing more design options to be explored within budget.
• Compression of early design time, speeding project time to completion.
• Accelerates analysis for LEED compliance.