No expertise is required to use Insight 360. For Autodesk FormIt 360 model geometry creation no expertise is required. Minimal 3D-CAD/BIM experience is required for model geometry creation with Autodesk Revit (though you need no special training in energy analysis). Energy Modelers can do more in-depth analysis.
Insight 360 is for architects, engineers, owners, any stakeholder in building energy and environmental performance. While Insight 360 is especially useful for architects at early stages in the design process, engineers and owners will also appreciate the clear communication of performance expectations throughout the building lifecycle.
• Architects at conceptual and schematic stages of the design process trying to make decisions about overall building form, orientation, shading, and materials while also managing client expectations and overall goals relative to energy and environmental performance.
• Engineers and Energy Analysts at any stage in the building lifecycle who want to help guide an architect with advice on targeting and feasibility of goals.
• Owners who want information to help inform targeting and feasibility, manage expectations, key assumptions, and better appreciate the trade-offs required for better performance.
In order for Insight 360 to perform whole building energy simulation, project location and geometry are required. Insight 360 automatically translates Revit or FormIt 360 architectural geometry to an energy analytical model.
No additional inputs are needed for FormIt 360 users—an entire range of estimated costs (based on hundreds of thousands of pre-computed DOE2.2 whole building energy simulations that represent all worldwide climate zones and a wide range of typical building forms, functions and efficiencies) are displayed as soon as you open the sketching environment. Cost range estimates are dynamically updated as you enter in more project details.
No additional inputs are needed for Revit users either, however users may specify additional input parameters such as unique envelope constructions, glazing properties, HVAC systems, thermal zones, as well as additional space requirements. Simulation variables that are not specified by the user are supplied by Autodesk Green Building Studio.
Insight 360 provides an interactive web based platform for understanding the key drivers of building energy use and sensitivity for each of those factors. Additional popular outputs of Insight 360 include:
• Energy use
• Energy cost
• ASHRAE 90.1 and Architecture 2030 benchmarks
• Automatic parametric studies
• EnergyPlus heating & cooling room
• Daylight and lighting illuminance based floor plans
• Solar insolation visualized on model surfaces
• Predicted PV energy generation
• Provides visualization and interaction with key performance indicators with real time cause and effect feedback to guide you towards better outcomes.
• Works with Revit and FormIt 360 Pro to generate insights using robust automatic analytical model creation and visualization of performance information directly in the modeling environment.
• Uses trusted industry leading simulation engines for whole building energy, heating, cooling, daylighting, and solar simulations with innovative parallel cloud computing techniques to represents millions of potential outcomes simultaneously.
• Helps organize and share insights with other stakeholders to work towards better outcomes continuously and consistently from early targeting and feasibility all the way through to operation.